At a high level the ConfigMgr client agent performs these 2 client actions to scan, install and report status of any targeted updates.
Software Updates Scan Cycle
Software Update Deployment Evaluation Cycle
- Software Update Scan Cycle:
During this process Client will start scanning against the Software Update Point (SUP) and populate the local Software Update related WMI classes with status of each Applicable CIs for the BulletinID as Required. The status or information about non-applicable CIs will not be stored locally by the client. Upon completion of scan cycle, the client will send a state message to Management Point, which in turn is processed at the site server and forwarded upstream until it reaches the Central Site Server. This scan cycle is run as per the preset interval in the Software Update Component configuration of your site.
Details about the state message on completion of successful scan cycle are reported with state message ID as 501 and the data is stored in Update_ScanStatus table.
2. Software Update Deployment Evaluation Cycle:
After the Software Update deployment is targeted and the evaluation cycle is triggered, the client will download and install the required updates. Upon successful completion of installation, the client sends the state message (ID: 301) to the Management Point. Like the scan state message, this message is also processed at the site server and replicated up the hierarchy.
When we Deploy software updates to SCCM Client what will happens in the client side. Here is the complete flow with logs:
Once software updates are deployed to SCCM client, below mentioned actions will takes place at the client side and respective logs will be written respectively as per the flow:-
- Update Evaluation will be triggered either manually or via scan schedule.
- Updatesdeployment.log – Updates deployment is called to begin evaluation and application process
- CIagent.log – CI agent is called to evaluate Applicable CI’s.
- Updateshandler.log log – Updates handler is called to handle the scan and patch deployment
- scanagent.log – Scan agent is called to clear the scan history and initiate and scan
- Locatioservices.log log – Scan agent submit a Location services request to find WSUS server for use in scanning.
- WUA handler.log – WUAhanlder is called to perform a scan.
- Updatesstore.log – Updatestore called to Adjust setting on WMI as needed
- Updatesdeployment.log – Updates deployment wakes up to begin CI evaluation and installation.
- CIAgent.log – CI agent start-up to check targeted CIs and download if necessary.
- Updatesdeployment.log – UpdatesDeploymnet calls Updates handler to initiate patch install.
- Updateshanlder.log – Updates handler call WUA handler to facilitate patch install.
- WUAhanlder.log – WUAhanlder coordinates with execmgr during patch install process
- Execmgr.log – Execmgr monitors software update installation.
Reporting: – Below are the Views most used in Reports to give the different status of the updates targeted to a collection.
|View Name – v_UpdateComplianceStatus
Description – Stores information about Required/Installed CIs for clients
Status values – Required: 2 & Installed: 3
|View Name – v_UpdateComplianceStatus_NotApplicable
Description – Stores information about Not Applicable CIs for Clients
Status values – Not Applicable: 1
|View Name – v_UpdateComplianceStatus_Unknown
Description – Stores information about CIs for which status is Unknown from clients
Status values – Unknown: 0
|View Name – v_Update_ComplianceStatusAll
Description – Consolidated view of data from above 3 views.
Below mentioned Image explains software update icons and description for each icon.